Friday, January 19, 2007

They're getting so big!



Here are Emma, Matty and Austin together, and Daddy and Kaitlin before her surgery today!

Katie's surgery went well! Tom and I took a class today to learn how to care for Katie and her GJ tube. It seems like it is very involved, but I'm sure once we get the hang of it, it will be okay. We are so happy that our insurance company has approved us for a nurse to come to our house 8 hrs day/7 days a week for two weeks. The next two weeks, the nurse will come 8 hours a day/5 days a week. After this first month, a re-evaluation will be done. I am happy that I will get some help with Katie's feeding equipment, even if it is temporary. Neonatologist was very positive today. He expects her home probably Tuesday!He feels she is "neurologically" okay. He thinks her gag reflex will be back by Mother's Day. He says she is doing "wonderful", but again, we have to let her "write her own book". He basically told me that Katie and I both need a break. He told me to take her home, enjoy each other, and not to worry about anything for awhile. Let nature take its course with her. He told me to keep an eye on her for now, but come around Mother's Day, we'll re-evaluate her developmentally, and with respect to her GJ tube, and decide what has to be done at that point.
I am just happy that she will be home shortly. We plan on having a cake the night she comes home to celebrate! My mom has been promising her red balloons on the day she comes home, so red balloons it is!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
So happy to hear that Katie's surgery went well and to let you know that we are thinking about you and your family :)


God Bless
Lois and your NICU family

Annie said...

thanks to my NICU family!!!! I'm so happy you ladies are able to check in on the babies here. I really do miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad all the babies will be together soon!! I wish we lived closer so we could visit. Glad everything is looking good!

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Annie and Tom-

I am so happy to hear that everyone is doing so well. It is cute to see how big Austin is compared to the others. We think of you often and call if you need anything.

Jenn- CHS Nicu