Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Just for Today...........


Just For Today by Sally Meyer

Just for this morning, I am going to smile when I see your face...and laugh when I feel like crying. Just for this morning, I will let you wake up softly in your flannel p.j.'s...and hold you until you are ready to stir. Just for this morning, I will let you choose what you want to wear...and I will say how beautiful you are. Just for this morning, I will step over the laundry to pick you up...and take you to the park to play Just for this morning, I will leave the dishes in the sink...and let you teach me how to put your puzzle together. Just for this afternoon, I will unplug the telephone and keep the computer off...and sit with you in the garden blowing bubbles. Just for this afternoon, I will not yell once, not even a tiny grumble when you scream and whine for the ice cream truck...and I will buy you one, if he comes by. Just for this afternoon, I won't worry about what you are going to be when you grow up...I will simply love you for the joy you bring me. Just for this afternoon, I will let you help me make cookies...and I wont stand over you . . . trying to 'fix things.' Just for this afternoon, I will take you to McDonald's and buy us both a 'Happy Meal'...so you can have two toys. Just for this evening, I will hold you in my arms and tell you the story of how you were born...and how much we love you. Just for this evening, I will let you splash in the bathtub...and I won't get angry when you pour water over your sister's head. Just for this evening, I will let you stay up late...while we sit on the porch swing and count all the stars. Just for this evening, I will bring you glasses of water...and snuggle beside you for hours...and miss my favorite t.v. show. And tonight when you are sleeping safe and warm in your bed, I will think of the mothers and fathers who mourn for the children they have lost. I will remember the parents who sit by hospital beds,watching over the little ones they love. I will weep for those parents whose children are cold,hungry and suffering, and .... this evening, when I kneel down to pray, I will simply be grateful for all that I have and not ask for anything...except just one more day.
© copyright 1999 Sally Meyer(written for her autistic son, Dhylan) I saw this on another triplet mom's blog and it just really touched me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG-- I love this! It's amazing how when you sit back, you realize... wow! It's definitely the little things... :)
I am going to "borrow" this from you now. Thanks my friend! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann,
That was so nice!
Kim

Denise said...

How beautiful. Thanks for the cry. I think I needed that reminder today.