Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Katie IS going to be fine!!!

MY KATIE GIRL had a PERFECT swallow study today!!!!!!!! She is absolutely FINE and had NO ASPIRATIONS ON THIN OR ANY OTHER LIQUIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I absolutely began crying during the study b/c she was doing sooo well. Just the past 15 months of everything we have been through with her came to mind. With each liquid they gave her, and she swallowed it perfectly, I got more and more teary eyed. My baby girl IS going to be okay. The docs kept telling me that she would outgrow it, but deep down I was apprehensive. I kept a positive face, but I was really unsure what would happen. The speech therapist (who overlooks the study along with a Radiologist) and I laughed, and hugged, and shrieked after the study. This therapist has been working with Katie for over a year now, and I swear, she seemed just as excited as I was. So, what this means is that we slowly begin to transition her to all oral feeds. We don't want to "shock" her body, as the speech therapist said, so we will start out slow. I must keep track of how much PediaSure she takes by mouth, and subtract that from her tube feeds. It may take a month or so. Once we get her to the point that she is all oral fed, then we will still keep the G tube in for up to six months. This is done as a precaution in case she becomes sick, is hospitalized for any reason, and needs to gain weight. It's just a precaution b/c it is already in place. I am fine with that. I am just sooo overjoyed-I feel like I am on Cloud 9 today...............

7 comments:

The Murray Crew said...

Celebrating with you! I can't imagine how proud you must feel! Thanks for sharing the great news with all of us!

Sarah said...

So AWESOME!!! I can't tell you how happy I am for you (and her) to put one more step behind. At least there is an end in sight! YIPPEE!!!

Anonymous said...

Yay-- what AWESOME news... what a wonderful accomplishment for Katie!!! OMG-- I'm getting chills reading your little "report"!!! I'm so happy she is doing so well!! I can just imagine your excitement. How wonderful... I am SO glad she is and will be OK. :)

Ann-- sending you a hug, too! You have done such an awesome job with Katie thus far and you have helped her come so far and do so well! What a great Mommy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann,
It is really wonderful news! I know you and Tom are so proud of her. Keep up the great work katie!!
Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann,
It is really wonderful news! I know you and Tom are so proud of her. Keep up the great work katie!!
Kim

Unknown said...

Congratulations! That is terrific!

Kelly said...

That is awesome!!! I know you must be so proud. I'm really so happy for y'all!